Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Cloud Service Comparison

Now that iCloud has been launched, we can now take a good hard look at what it offers, as well as some alternatives. Below is a chart that looks at the three major cloud services for data storage only.

Cloud Services costs image from Bobby Owsinski's Music 3.0 blog

Below is a comparison chart for the three major cloud music services.

Cloud Services Comparison image from Bobby Owsinski's Music 3.0 blog

As you can see, in both data and music storage, iCloud looks like it's a pretty good deal. iTunes match is particularly cool in that it automatically transfer the songs you bought on iTunes to your cloud partition, as well as any other songs it can identify. That feature hasn't launched yet, but we're told it should be available soon.
-----------------------------------

You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.

Check out my Big Picture blog for discussion on common music, engineering and production tips and tricks.

1 comment:

Kiwcomposer said...

Not convinced about iCloud. (actually cloud computing).
1/ Apple potentially knows too much about me just like Google does.
2/ Possibly music/movie companies etc will know too much about my music/video listening, watching, purchasing and other habits.
3/ My internet usage and so probably my ISP bill will go up dramatically. Not every country has all you can eat fast internet - NZ sure as hell doesn't.
4/ I am getting more and more locked into a single provider of my computing services and I am not sure I want that no matter how much I love Apple products.

There are other reasons as well but I think the above is enough to fire up my paranoia...

Hmm not only do I worry about iCloud generally but if everything (music, video, documents, photos, magazines and newspapers etc etc) on my iPad syncs wirelessly of OTA as Apple seems to want then my mobile charges will also go up because of all the iPad generated traffic. Ditto iPhone. The mobile carriers must be rubbing hands in glee.
Again all you can eat mobile service for iPad lasted only a few months. And iCloud is gotta rocket the wireless/mobile traffic. Will the mobile carriers actually cope let alone the already clogged internet.

I also feel someone has their hands in my back pocket on my wallet. Might even be worse than a wife and family. Lol.

Hmm yep, as I said, I am getting paranoia

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...