Sunday, January 26, 2014

Spotify Now Sells Your Merch

In another bid to outflank the hype from the newly launched Beats Music, Spotify announced that it will now sell allow musicians and bands to sell merchandise on their Spotify profile page. Not only that, they won't charge a fee for it either.

Artists will be able to display images of T-shirts, vinyl, concert tickets stickers or anything else that they sell, which will then link back to the site where the merch is available for sale.

This is actually a joint venture between Topspin and Spotify, so it means that you need a Topspin ArtistLink account to begin showing your merch first. ArtistLink is free, and you can sign up here.

Since this move doesn't cost you anything, I'd say it's a no-brainer, especially if you're an indie act.


----------------------------------

Follow me on Forbes for some insights on the new music business.

You should follow me on Twitter and Facebook for daily news and updates on production and the music business.

Check out my Big Picture blog for discussion on common music, engineering and production tips and tricks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's all well and good, but I'm in the process now of pulling my music from Spotify. I'm tired of seeing the .0000000001 figure in my Cdbaby payment schedule.

I believe Spotify has cost me money. Why should people download an album or tune when they can stream it for next to nothing?

The merchandise scheme is like a club owner telling you; "we can't pay, but you can put out a tip jar and sell your cds and get exposure". Gee, thanks. And you get free music and the extra income that brings in as well.

Sorry Spotify. The move costs them nothing, and sucks you into an excuse for giving them your music for free.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...